Saturday, December 6, 2008

Prague

After just 4 hours of sleep, we met in the lobby to start our day in Prague, still thinking about our crazy drive from Dresden, Germany to Prague and the GPS that didn´t receive any signal once we crossed the border to the Czech Republic. Because of our fatigue, we decided to start the day with a sightseeing tour on a bus which helped us to get a general overview over the most important parts of the city. It was a 2-hour tour and we saw so many interesting things that I had trouble keeping up with pictures. However, I was able to snap more shots once we got off the bus and entered the marketplace in the downtown area. During the entire tour we were provided with a lot of information about culture and living in Prague. One thing that really stood out to me was the fact that the average monthly income of a household is a $350, the rent alone about $120. The architecture and the Christmas decorations everywhere were all very impressive. Much more could be said, but it is difficult to describe Prague´s beauty into words. I am going to put some pictures online so you will be able to get a better idea of this historic city. We grabbed lunch in a quaint restaurant on the market square where I had my first "Kolz", a Czech dark beer.

 One of my main stops while I was in Prague was to visit the John Amos Comenius Museum. I was very disappointed when I arrived to see that it was closed because of renovation and wouldn´t be open before February 2009. I broke away from the group and did some brief shopping before rushing back to the hotel for a video interview with the author of a new book on the life of Comenius. For the sake of time please Google John Amos Comenius and find out more about his rich influence about our current classical educational system and culture. He lived from 1592-1670 and was a Czech teacher, scientist, educator and writer and an early champion of universal education. He was known as the teacher of nations and is considered the father of modern education.

I concluded the evening by having fellowship with Pastor Dan Lee.  It was a full and wonderful day.  

No comments: