Monday, February 16, 2009

Putting Two and Two Together

There is a story about the boy Jesus at 12 yrs old, sitting with the scholars and teachers of the day in the Temple, listening, and asking questions. Luke records it like this, "...and all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers."

This word, "understanding" is very interesting in that it means "a putting together, a quickness of apprehension, the critical faculty for clear apprehension, intelligently assessing a situation". This word, understanding, is derived from two Greek words, phronesis and sunesis. "phronesis", acts while, "sunesis", judges. Phronesis is the practical side of the mind, while sunesis is the analyzing and discerning side.

My prayer is that God grant me understanding and the ability to put two and two together as I walk with Him daily through life.

3 comments:

Fred said...

more

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Chuck Barnard here,

Finally took time to remember the past when I was in our old neighborhood last month. I am in Alvarado, Texas. I pastor a small Baptist church here. Jackie and I have 4 sons and 1 daughter, plus 2 grandchildren.

I would love to here from you if possible. You seem to have a real busy schedule. You can reach me at:

chuckbarnard1@earthlink.net

817-996-8038 (cell)

Kimble Knight said...

Chuck i sent you an email last night did you get it?