Sunday, July 11, 2010

An Everlasting Covenant

"Nevertheless I will remember My covenant with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you. Then you will remember your ways and be ashamed, when you receive your older and your younger sister ; for I will give them to you for daughters, but not because of My covenant with you. And I will establish My covenant with you. Then you shall know that I am the Lord, that you may remember and be ashamed, and never open your mouth anymore because of your shame, when I provide you an atonement for all you have done, says the Lord God." Ezekiel 16:60-63

Ashamed: means to be shamed, disappointed, or embarrassed. This is alsoone of the derivatives (shame) which refers to an idol. The idol itself was considered a shame or an embarrassment. An idol also guaranteed that its worshippers would eventually be shamed and greatly disappointed in their choice of an an object of worship.

This word is used here to describe the sense of disappointment one experiences when one's hope fails in an embarrassing way; but those who trust in the Lord shall never be ashamed (Ps. 25:2,3 ; Joel 2:26,27).

This reference to being ashamed is the result of remembering the path we walked before coming into God's covenant and realizing that our deeds necessitated the atonement.

No comments: