Sunday, October 17, 2010

Controlling or Trusting

" There was a time in my life when I felt so afraid of and overwhelmed by the very act of living that I actually wanted to make out a schedule for each day of my life for the next five years. I wanted to include all chores I had to do, when I would do them, even when I would schedule relaxation. I wanted to get some order into what felt overwhelming. I wanted to feel like I was in control." ~ Anonymous




Controlling is a direct response to our fear, panic and sense of helplessness. It is a direct response to feeling overwhelmed, and to distrust. There are times we don't trust ourselves, we don't trust God or the process of life. Instead of trusting, we revert to control.

We typically try to control the things we fear and we fear the things we can't control.

Fear is a huge subject...but the answer is amazingly simple. We deal with fear by trusting.Trusting--ourselves, God and the process of growth and maturity in life. We can trust that we will get where we need to go, say what we need to say, do what we need to do, know what we need to know, be who we need to be, and become all we can become. When we are intentional to do this we can trust that God will give us all the direction and provision we need as the need to control is surrendered to Him.

We were never intended to carry supplies for the entire journey. The burden would be too heavy. I frequently catch myself praying out of fear and asking for enough bread for the entire journey. I'm learning a easier way, and that is to simply trust and pray the way the way Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Give us this day our daily bread".

No comments: